Friday, August 31, 2007

Day 1 with the New SVP

Yesterday at the Cracker factory I work in we had a minor re-org... Here is a highlight from day 1 with the new Senior Vice President

8:30 am Call
SVP: J, your system does not work. I can't get in.
Me: What seems to be the problem?
SVP: When I try to enter the system, I get an error message.
Me: What does the message say?
SVP: Password Expired, please enter new password in field below.
Me: And what are you doing when you get this message?
SVP: I just press enter and it kicks me out.
Me: Did you enter a new password?
SVP: No, should I?
Me: Yes, that's why it is asking you for one.

The SVP follows directions for the first time as I walk him through it.

SVP: Hey, now it works. What did you do to the system?
Me: Nothing. It asked you to put in a new password. Now that you entered your new password you were able to get in. It won't ask you to do this again for another 90 days.

12:30 pm Call

SVP: J, your system does not work. I can't get in.
Me: What message are you getting?
SVP: Password Invalid. I shouldn't be getting this message. I know I put in the password correctly, I've been using the same one for three months! Why can't you fix this system!
Me: Remember this morning? You changed your password. The password you have been using for the last three months will not work. You have to use the new password you entered the other day.

After the SVP enters the new (correct) password.

SVP: Now it works! What did you do to the system?
Me: AAAAARRRRGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

honeykbee said...

That is really, really disturbing. I'm so sorry for your loss.